Ning Zhou Research Associate Professor, PI
1998-2002 BSc, Peking University, China
2003-2010 PhD, University of British Columbia, Canada
2010-2011 Postdoctoral fellow, University of British Columbia, Canada
2011-2019 Assistant Professor, Investigator, China Medical University, Taiwan
2019-present iHuman Institute, ShanghaiTech University
Functional alterations in neuronal activity are at the pathological root of many brain disorders. My overarching research goal is to understand how neuronal
1. Mei YY, Wu DC, Zhou N*. (2018) Astrocytic Regulation of Glutamate Transmission in Schizophrenia. Front Psychiatry. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2018.
2. Wu DC, Chen RY, Cheng TC, Chiang YC, Shen ML, Hsu LL, Zhou N*. (2018) Spreading Depression Promotes Astrocytic Calcium Oscillations and Enhances Gliotransmission to Hippocampal Neurons. Cerebral Cortex, 38(11):2818-2831.
3. Wang CH, Hernandez CC, Wu J, Zhou N, Hsu HY, Shen ML, Wang YC, Macdonald RL and Wu DC. (2018) A missense mutation A384P associated with human hyperekplexia reveals a desensitization site of glycine receptors. Journal of Neuroscience, 38(11):2818-2831.
4. Lin CH, Hsu SP, Cheng TC, Huang CW, Chiang YC, Hsiao IH, Lee MH, Shen ML, Wu DC, Zhou N*. (2017) Effects of anti-epileptic drugs on
5. Shen ML, Wang CH, Chen RY, Zhou N*, Kao ST*, Wu DC*. (2016) Luteolin inhibits GABAA receptors in HEK cells and brain slices. Scientific
6. Rosenegger DG, Tran CH, LeDue J, Zhou N, Gordon GR. (2014) A high performance, cost-effective, open-source microscope for scanning two-
7. Zhou N, Wang CH, Zhang S, Wu DC. (2013) The GLRA1 Missense Mutation W170S Associates Lack of Zn2+ Potentiation with Human
8. Zhou N, Rungta RL, Malik A, Han H, Wu DC, MacVicar BA. (2013) Regenerative glutamate release by presynaptic NMDA receptors contributes to
9. Choi HB, Gordon GR, Zhou N, Tai C, Rungta RL, Martinez J, Milner TA, Ryu JK, McLarnon JG, Tresguerres M, Levin LR, Buck J, MacVicar BA
10.Zhou N, Gordon GRJ, Feighan D, MacVicar BA (2010) Transient swelling, acidification and mitochondrial depolarization occurs in neurons but not
11.Thompson RJ, Zhou N, MacVicar BA (2006) Ischemia opens neuronal gap junction hemichannels. Science, 312:924-927.
12.Brust TB, Cayabyab FS, Zhou N, MacVicar BA (2006) p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase contributes to adenosine A1 receptor-mediated synaptic depression in area CA1 of the rat hippocampus. The Journal of Neuroscience. 26: 12427-12438.