Hisashi Tadakuma Assistant Professor, PI
Dr. Hisashi Tadakuma graduated from Waseda University in Japan in 1995, and obtained a Ph.D. degree from Waseda university under the supervision of Professor Takashi Funatsu in 2004. He was an Assistant Professor in Waseda University (Funatsu lab, from 2001 to 2003), and in The University of Tokyo (Tomishige lab, from 2003 to 2008). After a short postdoctoral research in The University of Tokyo (Ueda/Taguchi lab), he became an Assistant Professor in The University of Tokyo (Takuya Ueda lab, from 2010-2014). Then he did his second short postdoctoral research at the laboratory of Professor Yoshie Harada at Kyoto University, and became an Assistant Professor of Harada lab at Osaka University, from 2016-2019. He joined ShanghaiTech University as an Assistant Professor in Nov 2019.
Transcription is the first step of gene expression and thus quite important. Our lab focuses on understanding the basic mechanism of transcription and applies the knowledge to develop novel gene expression control nano-devices. To do that, we will combine a synthetic biology approach (reconstitution of biological systems) and a biophysical approach (single molecule imaging), and will build up unique nano-chips. With the nano-chips, we will mimic the transcription system and will understand the underlying mechanism. Furthermore, we will develop autonomous nano-devices that can sense the environment, compute information and output product, allowing us the precise control of cell fate. In the future, programmable gene expression system will open the way to autonomously cure our body.
1. Yokoyama T, Machida K(co-1st), Iwasaki W(co-1st), Shigeta T, Nishimoto M, Takahashi M, Sakamoto A, Yonemochi M, Harada Y, Shigematsu H, Shirouzu M, *Tadakuma H, *Imataka H, *Ito T.HCV IRES captures an actively translating 80S ribosome. Molecular Cell 74(6),1205-1214 (2019)
2. Masubuchi T, *Endo M, Iizuka R, Iguchi A, Yoon DH, Sekiguchi, T Qi H, Iinuma R, Miyazono Y, Shoji S, Funatsu T, *Sugiyama H, Harada Y, *Ueda T, *Tadakuma H.Construction of integrated gene logic-chip. Nature Nanotechnology 13(10), 933-940 (2018)
(Article in NIKKAN KOGYO newspaper(in July 24, 2018, Japanese), Nanowerk, The Medical News, EurekAlert!, Phys.org, Science Daily)
3. Tsuboyama K, *Tadakuma H, *Tomari Y. Conformational Activation of Argonaute by Distinct yet Coordinated Actions of the Hsp70 and Hsp90 Chaperone Systems. Molecular Cell. 70(4), 722-729 (2018)
4. *Tadakuma H, Masubuchi T, Ueda T. RNA Study Using DNA Nanotechnology (review) .Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci.,139:121-163 (2016)
5. Yao C, Sasaki HM, Ueda T, *Tomari Y, *Tadakuma H. Single-molecule analysis of the target cleavage reaction by Drosophila RNAi enzyme complex.Molecular Cell, 59, 125-132 (2015)
(Cover, Featured in mini-review of the issue. Article in Nikkei-technology newspaper in Aug 3 2015)
6. Iwasaki S, Sasaki HM(co-1st), Sakaguchi Y, Suzuki T, *Tadakuma H, *Tomari Y. Defining fundamental steps in the assembly of Drosophila RNAi enzyme complex. Nature, 521, 533-536 (2015)
7. Miyazono Y, Hayashi M, Karagiannis P, Harada Y, *Tadakuma H. Strain through the neck linker ensures processive runs: a DNA-kinesin hybrid nanomachine study. EMBO J. 29(1): 93-106 (2010)
(*: Corresponding Author)